4 and 4
- 4 and 4 are constructive, showing hearts and spades respectively.
4 shows Hearts and 4 shows spades
- The Trump suit is always self-sufficient and never contains more then one loser. It is at least seven cards in length, frequently eight.
- No more than one Ace or King (but not both) outside the trump suit.
- Eight or nine playing tricks.
Since opener is promising 8 or 9 tricks (Never more or less) you must have 3 or 4 quick tricks and controls to make a slam try. Responses to 4 and 4
- If opener had bid 4 the bid of 4 (opener's real suit) is to play – opener must pass.
- If opener had bid 4 the bid of 4 (opener's real suit) is to play - opener must pass.
- The bid of the intermediate suit (4 over 4 and 4 over 4) shows slam interest and asks opener to:
- Bid an outside first-round control –Ace or void.
- Bid 4NT with an outside King (responder’s rebid of 5 asks "Which King")
- Bid his real suit without an outside first-round control or outside King.